The Gary / Chicago International Airport is known as Chicago’s “third airport,” after the larger and more well-known O’Hare and Midway Airports. Seeking to increase its operational ability in order to better serve bigger aircrafts and more flights, Chicago / Gary Regional Airport Authority partnered with the Superior Construction team and several other highly skilled crews to rebuild the Airport’s runways in this expedited, three-phase project.
Project Fast Facts
- Client: Chicago / Gary Regional Airport Authority
- Location: Lake County, IN
- Work Performed: Phase 1-2: Demolition of the existing runway, placing 30,000 CY of concrete pavement via an on-site batch plant, state-of-the-art stringless paving system, milling | Phase 3: Runway repaving, raising the runway grade 13”, raising edge lighting, raising centerline lights
- Project Schedule: Phase 1-2: 30 days (completed 2 days ahead of schedule) | Phase 3: 21 days (completed one day ahead of schedule)
- Completion Date: Phase 1-2: May 19, 2018 | Phase 3: May 21, 2019