The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is building the First Coast Expressway (FCE), a limited-access toll road connecting I-10 to I-95 to reduce congestion on nearby roadways and provide a storm-related evacuation route. FDOT hired Superior Construction to build a segment of the FCE encompassing nearly 10 miles of roadway with automated toll gantries, 15 bridges, and a stormwater management system. The project includes the construction of a progressive and unique diverging diamond interchange (DDI), which reduces crashes and improves safety on the roadway by eliminating common accident-producing conflict points while reducing queuing time and length.
Project Fast Facts
- Client: Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)
- Location: Clay County, FL
- Work Performed: Design and construction of a 9.7-mile, multi-lane, divided expressway with two tolling facilities, 15 new bridges, and a stormwater drainage system.
- Project Schedule: Four years and six months (currently 14 months ahead of schedule)
- Completion Date: Anticipated completion September 2023