The I-65 / I-70 North Split (North Split) project will reconstruct the I-65 and I-70 interchange located in downtown Indianapolis. As one of the most heavily traveled interchanges in Indiana, many structures have exceeded their service life after nearly 50 years in operation. When complete, the North Split project will reduce congestion, improve safety for the community and travelers, and provide a maintenance-free infrastructure for decades to come. Comprised of four sections — the south leg, west leg, east leg, and interchange — this design-build project will replace all pavement, reconfigure the interchange into three levels, eliminate two ramp movements, replace numerous bridge structures, install a new drainage system, improve local streets, replace ITS facilities, and provide new aesthetic and landscape features.
Crews began bridge demolition on January 20, 2021. The first bridge is the Michigan St exit bridge over St. Clair St in downtown Indianapolis.
- Location Marion County, Indiana
- Owner Indiana Department of Transportation
- Delivery Method Design-Build
- Completion Year In Process
- Contract Value $315 million
- 50 bridge structures
- 6 movement closures
- 300,000 SY of continuously reinforced concrete pavement (CRCP)
- 60,000 LF of storm drain
- 4 major construction phases
- 300,000 SF of retaining walls
- 1 million CY of earth work
- 500,000 SF of bridge deck