Saturn Parkway (SR 396) is a four-lane highway connecting I-65 to the General Motors Spring Hill Manufacturing plant — formerly the end of the highway. The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) hired Superior Construction to extend Saturn Parkway, connecting it with Beechcroft Road (SR 247). The full design-build project allows traffic to flow over a railroad crossing that previously caused major backups. The new route also diverts commercial truck traffic around the plant rather than through local traffic.
Project Fast Facts
- Client: Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT)
- Location: Spring Hill, Tennessee
- Work performed: Installed three miles of new roadway and three bridges including a steel structure over the CSX railroad; a precast Contech 53-ft bridge structure over an existing stream; rerouted an existing stream; widened an existing two-lane road into three lanes plus turn lanes; 130,000 CY of earthwork; a signalized interchange; a precast concrete girder over the GM entrance.
- Project schedule: Two years and nine months
- Completion date: September 2020