Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) is the largest natural gas distribution company and the second-largest electric distribution company in Indiana, with more than 1.2 million customers statewide. As part of its commitment to producing clean and renewable energy, NIPSCO owns and operates two hydroelectric plants in northern Indiana, the Norway Hydro Plant — which Superior rehabilitated in 2021 — and the Oakdale Hydro Plant. Both facilities use floodgates to regulate water levels along the Tippecanoe River and maintain the proper flow of water through power turbines needed to produce energy.
NIPSCO sought Superior for its expertise in managing water and wastewater facilities upgrades and providing unique solutions to the environmental challenges these projects present. The complex systems used in megastructure rehabilitations and expansions require a depth of expertise and knowledge of state-of-the-art technology to ensure the work is completed safely and efficiently.
Project Fast Facts
- Client: Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO)
- Location: Monticello, Indiana
- Work Performed: Removed and replaced concrete to facilitate the installation of embedded parts for new floodgates and stoplogs; built and installed a cofferdam system, demolished the existing superstructure in two phases, employed a crane on a mobile marine barge, and hired professional divers for underwater repairs
- Project Schedule: Twelve months
- Completion Date: March 2023